Thursday, July 3, 2008

Foundations of my Faith: My Parents and Ancestors

As I stated in my first blog, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My parents are both members of the church. Their parents are all members of the church. I understand that all of my father's ancestors were Mormon Pioneers. My mother's ancestors are about 25% Mormon pioneer.

I grew up in the church. I never remember not going to church. In fact, I only ever missed Sunday meetings if I was sick. The faith of my parents is one of the fundamental building blocks of my own faith. They taught me by the way they lived their daily lives that honesty, prayer, faith, and hard work are principles to base your life on. My father spent 23 years of his life in a steel mill. My mother has primarily been a homemaker. They've been married for going on 34 years this November. I don't think the road has been easy for them, but they've continued in faith. I am grateful for them. From them, I learned to speak to God in prayer. From them, I learned the importance and necessity of consistent hard work. I'm still learning from them. They are generous to a fault. I love them. I thank God for them. I am grateful that I was born to the family I was. I can't say how my life might have been different I didn't have the family I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment